Saturday 3 March 2007

Cameras & stuff

One question I get asked at almost every wedding:

"What kind of camera / lens / flash / etc do you use?"

I don't make a big thing about what gear we use, after all it's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer! Seeing as there isn't much happening in weddings at the moment I thought I would answer this question, somebody might be interested!

The cameras I use are made by Fujifilm (although they are all digital) with mostly Nikon and a few Sigma lenses.

Cameras:

  • Fuji S5 Pro x 2 - new for 2007, these will be my main cameras for the year - usually I've got them both strapped to me, one with a 17-55 lens the other with whatever lens I need at the time
  • Nikon D2x - Faithful old workhorse, still a great piece of kit.
  • Nikon D2h & D70s - Spare bodies, stays in the car in case of emergencies
  • Bronica ETRS - An old medium format film camera. I use this for landscape and other personal work, not really a wedding camera as it needs a tripod to use properly. My wife looks embarrassed and wanders away whenever I'm using this as it's about 20 years old!
Lenses:
  • Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 AF-S - my main lens
  • Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 ED - my paparazzi lens, great for shooting from the back of the church
  • Nikon 85mm f1.4 - beautiful lens for candid work and portraits
  • Nikon 50mm f1.4 - great lens for receptions, it can see in the dark!
  • Nikon 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye - classic fisheye effect, love it
  • Sigma 30mm f1.4 - light and quick, works well
  • Sigma 10-20mm f4 - great for tight spots like wedding cars or really small rooms
I use Nikon SB-800 flashguns which are fantastic. Somehow I squeeze all of this kit into two Lowepro bags. All the cameras use Compact Flash cards, and I have a mixture of Lexar and SanDisk cards, about 20Gb in total. I've just bought some Sandisk Extreme IV cards, which are amazingly fast. The best place to buy memory cards online is 7 Day Shop. The cards are kept in a pouch on my belt at weddings for safety.

No comments: